Monday, July 2, 2012

First week in the Philippines

Family,
  This is the most overwhelming place.  I want to cry and laugh everyday.  It is so hot sometimes I think I am going to die.  My head hurts and my heart hurts.  I don't understand hardly everything, and there is so much expected of me and I don't know how I am going to accomplish it.  But.  I have prayed to have a good safe fun day everyday.  And it has happened.  There hasn't been a day when I haven't come home feeling like I hadn't accomplished something.  The people are so nice.  I like that I can just smile at them and they smile back.  I love that the members are so excited for us to be there.  They are excited to help me learn Tagalog.  They want to help in our learning of the area.  (The 4 missionaries us and 2 elders are all brand new to the area.)  They are excited for reactivation.  I am excited.  We are teaching one family, the mom is a member, but her 4 kids are not and her husband is not.  They totally felt the spirit yesterday.  It was so cool, and totally worth the heat we had to face traveling there.  We have visited members, and I love them.  They are so great.  We each had to bear our testimonies yesterday.  Mine was very short, but I felt good.  Their testimonies were so heartfelt and sincere.  These humble people love the Lord and their families.  Our Bishop is so wonderful.  He actually lives in a squatter town and sells bread off his bike for money.  But he is just great.  He makes me happy.  There have been miracles everyday.
   Just this morning I prayed for Heavenly Father to lead my personal study and he did.  It was so wonderful.  I was reminded that I might not know why I am here, or how this is ever going to workout, but he does.  Heavenly Father knows, and I needed to be reminded. And I remembered the mormon message "Lifting Burdens"  at the end Prs. Monson says, "Oh sweet the joy this sentence gives; I know that my Redeemer lives."  And I do know that.  I do.  It led me to Psalms 105 106 and 107.  There are parts in there where it talks about how we should praise the Lord for His mercy.  It was just really nice.  I wrote it in my study journal.  Have you gotten a study journal yet?  You should.
  I think they sent you a picture of me with my new companion.  Her name is Sister Bird, and she is pretty nice, but I get scared of what she is thinking of me sometimes, but I am just going to do the best I can.  She is great with the people, and very wonderful at following the spirit.  I am going to try to learn a lot from here these next 11 weeks.  Then I will get a followup trainer.  Probably a native, and my Tagalog will have to get lots better.  But I am going to give my best.  I pray it is enough.
  There is always music playing here, the song right now is that one direction song McKayla and I like, the you don't know your beautiful.  It is the beginning of rainy season, but it rains like one big rain and then it is just really hot again.
   Okay,  you have to know now, you can't send letters to that office address.  For some reason it is way expensive.  send it to... hold on let me ask if she knows.  Sister Bird doesn't know.  But she told me to just have you send things regular mail, not through pouch.  Do Dear Elder too, that is good.  When you get my first letter you will know the address if you don't already.  And we only have mail run every other week.  I am not looking forward to that, but I will deal.  It will be ok.  Things are going to be ok.  I am going to make a withdrawal from my visa account at least once a month so that it stays open.  That would be scary if it closed.  So just make sure it has money.  I shouldn't take that much so don't worry about that, but I do have to use personal money for some things.  And please tell Sarah I am sorry,but I can only send email to family.  only immediate family.  But I can get emails from anyone.  I just have to send regular letters home.  (please send me American stamps in your next letter so I can do pouch mail to you) her email is sarah.jo.harris@gmail.com.  Just forewarn her.
  I am okay.  I want to cry almost all the time, but I am okay.  I miss you all so much.  Especially in the middle of the night when I wake up to some noise.  OH!  There was a little gray lizard on our wall, it lifted its tail, and POOPED ON MY BED!!!!  That was gross.  Well Everyone else is just about finished so I have to go.  I love you.  The church is true.  Read the Book of Mormon.  You are incredible and we are all going to be very blessed for a very long time.  Because Heavenly Father loves us.  Please pray for me to be brave.

Love,
Sister Brittany Nichole Newman    

No comments:

Post a Comment